Reynold Ruslan Feldman, Ph.D. - Author, Editor, Nonprofit Consultant, Wisdom Coach
RSS

the good life
the new renaissance
Travel Blog
war and peace
wealth
wisdom
wisdom' wise living' the good life' talking to kids
powered by

My Blog

Twenty-Five Characteristics of an Enlightened World

“It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. . . .” That’s how Dickens begins his fictionalized account of the French Revolution, The Tale of Two Cities. I suppose one can say the same about any era, since there will always be pros and cons. Nevertheless, we’re living now, I’m convinced, in a Dark Age. Yet the good news is, we are on the cusp of a new Renaissance. On that premise, my wife Cedar, her friends Marni and Nancy, and I brainstormed 25 characteristics of this born-again better world: 5 individual and 20 social. I hope you can improve on our phrasing and/or send us some additional characteristics of your own. So, at the individual level we see people moving from . . . boredom to a sense of wonder, reliance on the intellect to greater use of their intuition, fear of the other to interest in them, culturally sanctioned learning resources to learning from everything, and psycho-spiritual disconnection  to psycho-spiritual integration. At the social level, globally, there will be a fair distribution of wealth, peaceful conflict resolution, universal health care, sustainable energy usage, sustainable lifestyles, person-to-person versus technology-based friendships, an ethic of sufficiency versus materialism, need-versus-profit-based enterprise and marketing, a need-versus-want-based culture, effective world governance instead of chauvinistic nation-states, community-oriented populations versus rampant individualism, more natural approaches to healing replacing drug-based medicine, “Jesus” versus Wall Street ethics, the right use of power and influence instead of their widespread misuse, gender equality versus patriarchy, a prejudice-free society not a spectrum of isms, non-polluting versus polluting industry, fulfilling instead of soul-killing work, and soul-freeing, inclusive religiosity versus the exclusivist, shaming/blaming kind. In future blogs we’ll consider the parenting, education, and religion needed to create such a world. For now, I’d love your comments.

9 Comments to Twenty-Five Characteristics of an Enlightened World:

Comments RSS
Elisabeth Smith on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:53 AM
This conincides with an article I read in a Unity magazine of the January/February 2010 edition titled "The Choice Point Year Begins: Preparing Ourselves for 2012". With the help of the Internet global awareness is spreading like wildfire. Could the release of the Wikileaks be part of this? I wonder. Ultimately each person living on this wonderful planet is responsible for his or her own actions and living an unvirtuous life brings its own set of consequences. However, I am ever so grateful for people like yourself who are here to share the wisdom with the rest of the world to help people make better choices in their life.
Reply to comment

Reynold Ruslan on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:30 AM
Many thanks, Elisabeth. I have a feeling we are being Evolved in a good direction. Still, it's a tricky business, this change stuff. We have to do our part too. Best, RR.

Kim Holman on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:48 AM
Wow, Reynold, this is such a great list. I love the precision. I will be sharing this with others. Thank you so much for posting this. I hope you are having a good time in Florida. I'll let you know if anything to add to the list occurs to me.
Reply to comment

Sjarifuddin on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:41 PM
Our friend Bapak often commented that when making decisions for the group it is best to act in a spirit of "musjawara" where no decision is made until all participants feel that the best decision in being made. This often requires giving up the desire to be RIGHT, that he also mentioned, is our greatest sin. Not so easy
Reply to comment

Aliman on Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:08 PM
Sjarifuddin, one of Ruslan's characteristics to which your comment applies is "effective world governance instead of chauvinistic nation-states." It seems we're on the right track with the UN. What has to change there is probably that member states have to think more globally rather than pushing their own interests at the cost of other's rights. I.e., the countries have to apply Ruslan's (& Cedar's and friend's) "community-oriented populations versus rampant individualism." Just statistically, if everyone in a country were to be community-minded vs. individualistic, then other countries (again, statistically) would fall into the same mode. I.e., each country would be operating near the top of the bell curve, and the outcomes in the UN would be more harmonious. Probably give it about 200 years. Aloha.

Amalia Rasheed on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:53 PM
Thanks for this timely list. Truly uplifting! Three more ideas that come to mind: sufficient nourishment for all rather than inbalance between the starving and overfed, mutual caring rather than competitive relationships, safe rather than dangerous environments.
Reply to comment

Yamunotri Yatra on Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:21 PM
Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work. Thanks for this very useful info you have provided us.
Reply to comment

website on Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:45 PM
Certainly assist us all to try and do a number of pretty much challenging work buying finally, the boundary to help you arrangement tutorial this particular production is constantly tailored to our own requires and additionally one
Reply to comment